Thursday 5 August 2010

Toshiba Libretto W100

     Ok so the link is just pointing at Toshiba's website for this laptop, but I think I love the concept.  A dual screen netbook sized clamshell laptop.  Instead of a keyboard, you have a touch screen.  I'll be very interested in seeing one of these, but there's a big caveat.
     The secret behind making a device like this desirable is going to be all about getting the user interface right.  Last time I looked Toshiba was a hardware company, so that makes me think that their first foray into this market is going to be a little clumsy.  Having it paired with windows wouldn't be my first preference either, but if I was trying to get the device to market it'd probably be what I'd choose too.
     On a portable device though, where space is at a premium, taking up, at a minimum, a third of the physical real estate just for a keyboard seems to be a very unwise choice when there's newer technology available.  The ubiquity of other touch screen devices (*cough* iPhone *cough*) will have undoubtedly helped to warm the market up to the idea of doing away with the keyboard entirely.
     I want my next laptop to be configured like this.

No comments: