Tuesday 6 July 2010

ATO eTax Failure

     See the linked article for the ATO's pathetic statement regarding the lack of availability of the eTax software for anything other than Microsoft windows.
     Honestly, this abysmal situation has been going on that long that I've ceased to be surprised when another year rolls around and the ATO have still made absolutely no moves towards making electronic tax return submission available to all computer users.  Just because I'm not surprised, doesn't mean that I'm not outraged.
     I've been bumping into this issue for years, mostly using Linux and being able to get away with WINE....  Except for last year when I had to install eTax on a borrowed windows PC to do the actual submission.
     The ATO don't even make a token effort at having their official, publicly funded, software available to those who choose not to use Microsoft Windows - they should be raked over the coals for this.


For anybody else that's as annoyed about this as I am, the official ATO complaint address is:

Complaints

Australian Taxation Office
Locked Bag 40
Dandenong Victoria 3175

No comments: